Friday, January 4, 2013

Vintage Pole Ornament

Its incredibility strange that just a few posts ago I was commenting on how much I love vintage pole ornaments that cities put up on street lights around Christmas time. I have always loved these things, ever since I was a child. Its strange because as fate would have it, our neighboring city is actually SELLING their old pole ornaments because they are replacing them with new LED ones (yuk!). So yesterday we drove through the snow storm and picked one up. I'd say $50 for a little vintage history is well worth it. The lady at the Chamber of Commerce said they are around 40 years old, and I believe it based on the wiring. So what am I going to do with an 8ft lighted tree that is meant to be attached to the side of a telephone pole? Well, next Christmas I plan to put it on the roof of my house, or even put it in the living room against the wall as a quirky conversation piece.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is sooooooo cool! Wherever you put it, it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! Haha I had been looking for one to surprise you with! I'm glad you got one, did you all get a lot of snow out there on Christmas Day too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!! there is still quite a bit on the ground!

      Delete
  3. Wow that is a really cool item to have.
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome- I'd love to have one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a wonderful memory from childhood of driving with my family through little towns in southern Ohio on a cold snowy evening, on the way to visit my grandparents for Christmas. This was before interstate highways, so such a trip took us right down Main Street of each little town. I remember gazing at the Christmas decorations on the utility poles. The decorations were like the one you now have, simple shapes such as candy canes and trees with only a few colored light bulbs on each shape. I distinctly remember a wreath that had a plastic candle shape inside of it. I pretended it was lighting our way. I remember thinking how dark and a little bit scary the towns looked because they were unfamiliar. But I felt safe inside the car as my dad drove us through the night.

    ReplyDelete