Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bunting Lawn Lounger -


We went to a mid-century estate sale this weekend that I could tell a hundred stories about. From the two witches that were first in line that felt the need to take price tags off all the furniture so they could claim it all, to the extremely friendly estate sale company that gave me fee stuff, and gave me unreal deals. One of the items i bought was another Kroehler sofa (this one is a sleeper!). I'll post about that and the other great stuff later. I showed up to pickup the sofa about an hour before they closed yesterday, which was the last day of the sale. This chaise lounger was still there!! The initial price on it was way high (which was weird, because everything else at the sale was priced really well), so it was left alone by the dealers. Seeing as this vintage beauty was about an hour away from being donated to Goodwill, the estate sale company sold it to me for $25. It is in excellent shape, I absolutely love it. There is a problem though..... I don't want it outside to blow around, I don't want anyone to see it and steal it, I don't want it to get rained on, I don't want it to get sun bleached, I don't want birds crapping on it. It's one of those things that I love so much I don't want it serve its real purpose! I have the same problem with the parent's wedding Blue Heaven China dishes. I know some of you have vintage loungers... do you leave it out in the sun and leave it exposed to the elements? Maybe I should wheel it into the house and only bring it out for special occasions like a bbq. Its so comfortable. I'm sitting on it now as i type. Let me know what you think... as for now its going back in the house!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE Bunting Lawn furniture. They made the best built stuff.

    Okay, maybe I'm crazy but I use all my vintage things...and yes, things get broken from time to time. I get a little sad when that happens but hey, it's just things and I refuse to have things I don't use...then all I would be is a museum! hahaha I could charge admission! :-)

    MaryD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on more great finds! I use all my mid-century pieces too, with the exception of a Carter Brothers scoop chair that we broke. We had it repaired, but the man who fixed it said it wasn't really strong enough to sit on, so it's just for show. Everything else gets the same treatment it's been getting for the last 60 years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar rocker with the original cushions, but not in red like yours! I just take the cushions in the garage when I'm not using them. The aluminum frame is fine out in the elements; if wind or theft might be a problem, maybe chain it to something or bring it in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - why buy it to not use it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty cool, Like Susie said I'd bring in the cushions when not using it. And I know exactly how you feel, fo rhte first 2 years of the Casablanca every weekend I hauled every piece of lawn furniature into the house on sunday only to haul it back out the next friday to use for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I once had a patio glider/couch just like your lounge chair pictured. I felt the same way - didn't want it outside to get ruined. I put it in my bedroom. I liked it there. It went with my vintage style. I just used it like a regular couch. I do own a lot of vintage and use most of it in my everyday life, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to put stuff outside because of the fear of it getting trashed. I think your lounge chair would look great inside in a bedroom, sunporch or even a living room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! Pretty! I say that if you really think that it might get stolen, bring it in. If not, just bring those cushions in so that they don't fade or get bird pooped on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe, you need to build a screened in patio! Oh my, think of all the accessories you could find for a patio! Your chair would be safe and sound too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I just found your blog: I was given the same lounger, a matching chair and a glider/couch. With alot of elbow-grease some super fine steel wool and WD-40 the aluminum will shine like chrome and look amazing!!! I was floored when I saw the results. (This is how they clean aluminum hubcaps)

    ReplyDelete