Thursday, March 17, 2011

My first time at an auction

I'm very excited about tonight. Over near where I work there is an auction full of mid-century stuff. I went today on my lunch break to check things out, and it was like being in a furniture store warehouse circa 1964. There was about 50 large mid century pieces, and in very good shape. I couldn't believe there was this much inventory, so I asked the lady at the front desk if they usually sell mid-century and she said yes, they have to have an auction every 3 weeks or so, they get too much merchandise. WHAT???? I asked from where, and she told me from England. Something about there being a lot of this type of furniture in England because during WW2 everyone had to burn their furniture to stay warm, so for the next few decades there was a large production of furniture. I feel some relief knowing that I don't HAVE to bid on stuff tonight, there will be more in a few weeks. So, I may just sit and take it all in and see how much these nice pieces really go for. I am sure there will be a ton of dealers.















8 comments:

  1. I have a bar from England. It's really cool. I'd love to know what they are asking for the hutch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow all the pieces you posted are amazing! To clarify, did the auction acquire these pieces directly from England? Or did Americans buy British made pieces back in the 1960s? I figure it would be pretty expensive to ship all that furniture overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you bid on anything? If so, give us pictures! Aren't auctions fun? Our store is opening this weekend at 830 Exposition, Ste. 103. Stop by if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have stayed away from auctions, because I fear they could be highly addictive.

    Thanks for sharing the tidbit about English furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello...you've found yourself a wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those pieces! I wish I could decorate my home with furniture like that. Interesting tidbit about them getting all that mid-century furniture from England? I would have never guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hutch is stupendous! Let us know how the auction goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i m in love all over again.....

    ReplyDelete