Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Washing machines of yesteryear - the best


I recently researched modern day washing machines thinking that I may want a HE front loader. Glad I did my research because I realized that the washing machine that I want isn't made anymore. Why would i want a machine that uses low water and washes everything in a gallon of water? gross. I would rather have a slightly higher water/electric bill to have a washer with tons of water, sudsy soap, a great agitator, and most off all the now extinct lint filter.
Why did they do away with the waterfall of recycled water flowing into the lint filter? Just goes to show things were made better back then. My next washer will hopefully be a beat up old piece of crap machine with a light-up control panel, tons of buttons and tons of charm! (no offense to front-loader HE fans).

8 comments:

  1. I tell ya, I had the opportunity to use an HE washer and was sorely disappointed in the cleanliness of the clothing. Maybe it's just me, but I like lots of water hitting my dirties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a HE front loader, and while I'm OK with how clean it gets my clothes, what I miss about the old washers is their reliability. In the 40+ years that I've been buying washers, I've owned three. the first two I got rid of for cosmetic reasons...they just looked old and beat up, but they still ran like tops. I bought a fancy front loader 5 years ago, and it's been nothing but trouble. Give me one of the old top loaders anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! More laundry stuff, I say! My mom had a washer and dryer combo in one. It was a front loader, porthole window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a new flash for you guys....there are a growing lot of us who feel the same way you all do not only about just washers but other major appliances as well...I urge you guys to take a look at automaticwasher.org. It will blow your mind to see all the different styles and colors that were offered over the years....take a look guys you won't be sorry...PAT COFFEY

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last washer you showed looks just like one of my Mom's where the filter thing comes out on top.

    I love all your vintage ,retro ,just like our Mom's stuff you show

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. I have the front loader he washer. I miss the agitator and how much cleaner it got the clothes.
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am satisfied with my old washer (decades old) but am looking for a new refridgerator. Talk about things now made cheaply and easily broken! I am considering shopping daily rather than waste money on what I am seeing offered locally as fridges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I remember this machine. This is a great machine. My grandmother had one. She also had one that washed the clothes and you had to feed it through the two spinning wheels to wring them out.

    ReplyDelete