Monday, December 6, 2010

the 50's pink bathroom I never knew...

I'm sure my guest bathroom was once a beautiful site. Pink tile with elephant gray bullnose trim. When i bought the house 4 years ago the tile already had a few layers of 'tile paint' applied to it. As the years have gone on, the paint has chipped revealing the beautiful tiles that once were. Unfortunately the tiles were all scoured so the paint would stick. I made a tough decision last week. I had a tile painter come over and give me a quote on stripping all the paint and repainting the tiles white (keep in mind there is NO restoring these tiles, they are all scoured). After getting the EXPENSIVE quote, I decided I could redo this bathroom myself and give it the vintage honor it deserves for about the same price. So thirty minutes after the tile painter left, I started chipping off all the old tiles. Here as some pics of half way through, and after they are gone and the floor is leveled. Notice that back in the 50s tile was laid on 1 1/2 inch slabs of concrete (even the walls!). To give my house the vintage guest bath it so badly deserves, I am going to go with white subway tiles on the walls, with black subway trim tiles as an accent. The floor will be black and white octagon tiles. The hole in the wall left by the wall furnace (my skilled plumber removed this and capped the gas line) will become a built-in magazine rack.
The original tub is staying. The original toilet is forming a crack, and so it must go. Anyways, I'm sad that I'm removing tiles that were apart of an original 50s pink bathroom, but I am also excited about having a fresh new bathroom that compliments the days of old.



7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. When I bought my 1950 home, the bathroom had already been "modernized," so I never knew what the original looked like. I'm tempted to restore it to a 50s look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...cant wait to see the finished bath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished product. We have a very green vintage bathroom. I do love the looks, but it requires constant upkeep. Good luck with the project. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kuddos to you! You will feel so much better about the completed bathroom, because you did it yourself. Just make sure to share photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a tiny half bath with pink tile, and I love that it is original, but I am sort of tired of the PINKness of the pink. I think your choice of white and black is good. Hope the job goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad that the other tiles were all ruined.Good on you for doing it yourself:)The black & white combo sounds like it will be stunning.
    Good luck!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just downloaded iStripper, and now I enjoy having the sexiest virtual strippers strip-teasing on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete