Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Time for the formica dinnete chairs redo!

I have been contemplating this redo for a while now. I love my formica dinette, and want to keep as much of the chair vinyl as possible since it is original gray cracked ice. I've decided that the chair backs are fine, but the chair seats definitely need to be replaced since they are all ripped. So, I am going to only replace the seats with an aqua vinyl. Believe me, the replica cracked-ice vinyl they make now a days looks like it would be a mistake. See my original post for the issues with replica cracked ice vinyl.

So, I ordered 3 yards of aqua vinyl, at a great price of $6 a yard plus shipping. This is extremely inexpensive compared to other online vinyl, so I hope I don't get screwed. The sample swatch seems very nice and durable.

Now, what are my chairs going to end up looking like? Hopefully close to the picture below that i snagged off the net. I think the aqua vinyl seats will add a real cool color splash to the overall dinette.


I really hope I don't **** this up.

4 comments:

  1. That should look great! I love the color. If yours works out well I might try the same idea on a project of mine: http://practiceintime.blogspot.com/2010/11/trash-picked-tuesday-take-seat.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will look really amazing! The seats shouldn't be to hard to recover, its the chair backs that seem a bit more complicated. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how it looks! I just posted about a similar dilemma: http://decadesagogo.blogspot.com/2010/11/quick-fix-to-vintage-dinette-chair.html

    Having no money for anything really, I just used materials I had on hand but I think it turned out pretty good (for free), and is much more useable now... Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete