Monday, October 4, 2010

smoky estate sale...


Hit a really good estate sale this weekend. The house was a little smoky to say the least. But hey, loving vintage means you may occasionally find something you love that is smoky, moth bally, or just old smelling. Usually I can get the smell of smoke out of stuff I have bought, but nothing is getting these shapely pillows smoke-free. I love the shapes of these old things, they go perfect on my couch. They fluffed up really nice after their long soaking, but peeee-uuuuu its gonna take some drastic measures to get the stink out of these. Next step - sealing them up in a plastic back with Bounce dryer sheets. Hopefully a couple days will do the trick.

8 comments:

  1. Oh jeaz I know how you feel kinda, I have passed up on some of the cutest vintage purses because they just smelled HORRID!
    And I don't say that to sound like a snob.. heck I only quit smoking in December but I now have a hatred for that smell. lol
    Funny thing is you don't really realize until you quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To date I haven't passed on anything with a stench, whether smoke or something else, but I did buy an old shirt that I've washed probably 20 times & the stench has decreased a bit, but is still there.

    Any tips on getting the stench out of a credenza that smells like it's been left in a basement for years that wasn't climate controlled? Tried many tips, but nothings worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that newspaper will absorb odors. For something like the pillows I would crumple several sheets of it and close them in a bag together. For me the smell of dryer sheets is just about as bad as the smoke smell. Could try baking soda too, it absorbs odors. Love that sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My musty stinkie chair and footstool still smell as musty and moldy as the day the arrived, so I can assure you. "airing them out" won't do a thing lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe take the insides out and make new inserts? Sounds like a job for your handy friend... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. equal parts of cornflower & bicarb is a good carpet deodorizer so it may help with the cushions too.
    Love your decorating style:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at it this way--back in the day, EVERYONE smoked, so it's just another indication of how vintage it is. Yeah, right, I know that's stupid, but you've got to live in a fantasy world sometimes. I HATE the smell of smoke, old or new, but sometimes ya gotta live with it if you want something really bad. I also hate it when I order something off eBay and the seller neglected to say it was coming from a smoker's house. Pee-YEW!

    ReplyDelete