Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Formica dinette cracked ice vinyl redo dilemma

First off I LOVE this dinette that the fridge seller "threw in" for free. The vinyl on all the chairs needs to be redone however. This is fine because it give me the chance to carefully attempt to redo the vinyl in another color other than gray. My preference - cracked ice turquoise. Only problem, the they don't make it. So my choices for cracked ice are red, gray or yellow - thats all they make now. I sent off for some swatches and they just came in. I have to say that the cracked ice vinyl of today is somewhat different then then how it used to be. The crack patterns have a copy machine look to them. If you look at the swatches very closely, it looks like someone made a photo copy of the cracked ice pattern, then turned it into vinyl. Its hard to describe and it doesn't really show up in the photos. It looks like pigment dots are all over the pattern. like an old timey comic book. So I sent off for a swatch of plain old solid turquoise vinyl to see how that would look. that should be coming my way in a week or so. But I reeeealy want cracked ice. Im in a pickle because of these pigment dots. If i were to choose, I would pick the red cracked ice because not only is it my first color choice of the 3, but also it is harder to see the pattern i am talking about. If you are about two feet away you can start to see those dots.



So, is anyone going to really stick their face two feet a way from the chairs and care about any dots? Am i going to get used to it and it eventually won't even matter? Maybe I should just go with solid turquoise. Has anyone redone their vinyl before with replica cracked ice? Any suggestions or ideas? Please let me know!!!!!!

18 comments:

  1. No, but I looked into it. I never ordered the swatches cuz I couldn't afford what they were askin. That is very strange about the "dots". Maybe I'll order the swatches just to get a look at it. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zootsuitmama - yes the price sucks... $35/yard. the solid vinyl is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, costly for something inferior. What's wrong with the stuff that's on the chairs now?

    Two of mine have rips that were taped with clear tape on the seats, but I put those two chairs to the wall side, and use added cushions if company is coming over (good company lol).

    It's like the formica samples I've seen. They don't sell boomerang in pink, and nothing like the pink with white and gray fleck like I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retro Keith,
    If the vinyl is good on the chairs that you have now, I would leave them alone. The color of the chairs is a wonderful neutral and can work with a lot of different design schemes... just my 2 cents! :)

    MaryDeluxe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you robbing banks or something? Dang, I can't afford to get my sofa redone and you're out buying the world!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! Love a bargain... I had original chairs and the vinyl was solid red. I loved them. The way I see it, if it's annoying you now it always will. Nobody else will notice but YOU will. Also, turquoise would look HOT! :) Can't wait to see the finished result. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith, what if you got the vinyl that is turquoise and has the glitter on it? I recovered a high chair in that in green and it looks great! If you could find it in turquose withthe sparkles that would look stunning with your white table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that yellow cracked ice swatch. Plus you'd score points for having a sunny looking table set up AND most MCM folks naturally default to turquoise, so if you selected yellow you'd be the lone ranger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're absolutely right about the reproduction cracked ice vinyl. It's horrible. And this IS all that's available today. The original almost has a "pearly" appearance to it. This is garbage. The red is the one where these awful remake "imperfections" show the least, however it too is something no one wants. We had to give up on having cracked ice because of this. We chose the metallic "zodiac" upholstery instead. The turquoise zodiac is quite appealing, also the "cascade". It comes in an array of colors to choose from. Good luck with your project !

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are restoring an old 1950s dinette and chairs. We're looking for cracked ice vinyl in a greenish or turquoise color.
    Does anyone know a source?
    Thanks,
    Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  11. the only colors cracked ice is made in now a days is red, yellow and grey... and they look bad. unfortunately green or turquoise is not manufactured anymore

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I know the dot thing you're talking about....I can't believe how inferior the modern stuff is!...well, actually I guess I can believe it since its modern...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not see any cuts in the chairs maybe it would work to put new piping around them and new stuffing in them. There are also people that repair vinyl cuts, we had someone repair some vinyle in our resturant and you could not even tell where the repair was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. reading great article is one of my hobby and this one is one the articles that i put my interest with. looking forward for more.. formica samples

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have ordered swatches of the new cracked ice and been thoroughly disappointed in the pixelated appearance. I have a chrome dinette with chairbacks in the original yellow and gray cracked ice, but seats that were reupholstered with an ugly textured "white" vinyl that is actually dinge-colored from 20 years of dirt embedded in the floral pattern. We wanted to put turquoise cracked ice on the seats, but now will probably settle for the zodiac silver or a plain matte turquoise. Sure wish some manufacturer was making quality cracked ice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The zodiac pattern is probably closer to the original than cracked ice, but many people still like the reproduction cracked ice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I am wondering where you got the samples from? I am going to order some vinyl and now kinda worried, I need 3 yrds of the gray and 2 yrds of the red, but dont know now if I should get it. I was going to order from Heffrons in NY. Could you let me know where you got yours from? Thanks, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am also looking for samples. Three sites I saw today that have cracked ice vinyl are: barstoolsandchairs.com (appears they will ship swatches); barsandbooths.com (swatches?); and classickitchensandmore.com (don't recall if they mentioned swatches, but believe they did)

    ReplyDelete