Sunday, July 18, 2010

Don't judge a garage sale by all the baby clothes




This weekend, in order to save time my roommate and I took two separate cars and hit the neighborhood looking for garage sales. He took the north side and i took the south side. My section had a few sales here and there, and I didn't bother stopping at a few because they looked mostly full of baby clothes and stuffed animals. I managed to find an aqua snowflake covered pyrex dish (I already have one of these, so this one is going to Megan), and a 1940's-ish cast iron colander. After about 45 minutes i went back to the house and drove up to the carport to see a groovy vintage chair and a Cosco stool in my driveway. My roommate, who decided to scope out my section of the neighborhood found these things at a garage sale I had snubbed my nose at. The chair and stool must have been hidden behind the piles of clothes. This makes me wonder how many things i miss out on because I judge a garage sale by what I can see from the window of my car. Maybe I should get out every time? What does everyone else do? Do you hit every garage sale you see? Or do you do a lot of window shopping from your car?

5 comments:

  1. I try to stop and roam if I can. you never know what might be out there and sometimes you get lucky nad people load you up wiht castoffs that just so happen to be treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually if it's all kids stuff I keep driving.. Funny thing is I know once I have kids I will be slamming on the breaks!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, you really need to go into every sale, even if really quickly. People who don't value vintage often have their new stuff out the front and the vintage lurking way back where it can't be seen from the road.
    www.KittysVintageKitsch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally guilty of doing drive-bys! If I see baby clothes I drive right on by, but I've always wondered if I was missing something. Great finds, and now I'm going to look through the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I am guilty of the dreaded drive by! If you are the one having the sale, that is such an insult! Sorry sellers, I've been on both sides of that coin! I pass a lot of sales that look to be all baby stuff, or newer crap...I mean... newer items. Hehe. I have probably missed a lot of stuff too. The one thing I would have totally missed at a sale and but didn't would have been my Softtub. The sellers had a sloped driveway and the tub was way in the back...if I had judged it by the stuff in front only, I woulda never stopped by. I just happened to be on foot though and glad I was! I love the hot tub, it has become a serious fixture of our alley-community!

    ReplyDelete