Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Elmira Northstar Craigslist deal


First off, thank you so much for everyones emails and advice. It helped me negotiate the final price. So, my roommate and I went to the guys house last night and really liked the fridge. The man was very nice, and lived in a huge country mansion. He was converting his 50s kitchen to Tuscan (yuk), he said his wife is making him do it. So, for $740 I got the fridge that retails for $4000, and the guy threw in the formica dinette with 6 chairs and leaf, and a pedestal sink!! I really need the pedestal sink for the master bath redo I am doing. That saved me $200. The dinette is really nice, but some of the chairs need to be re-done. I ordered cracked-ice vinyl swatches to see what I like, but thats a whole other blog because I am going to try to redo them myself (yikes). So far I am very happy with this deal, as I got a pedestal sink that I need, and I just listed my regular fridge on Craigslist. Also, two months ago all i wanted was a formica dinette.. and now I have two. I am not sure what to do, I was going to put one of them in the formal dining room, but my roomie says that the nice 1940's wooden dinette needs to stay there. What to do, what to do. Thanks again for every one's help!!!!!


11 comments:

  1. It's great that it all worked out so well and that you ended up with a good deal. That fridge is really cool. I also love the way the pale aqua color looks with the white fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fan of Tuscan colors and style, I can't argue someone wanting to redecorate/remodel that way. However, also loving vintage appliances and the streamlined modern look, and having grown up with a dinette set very similar to that one, I don't think I could easily let them go.

    Great fridge and extras! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad it works for you. It probably is a better deal if the guy is just rich and wants to toss it for something different. I just get bad feelings when they want you to come "right away" and throw stuff in to get you to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great deal! That fridge is really lovely!

    I have an extra formica table sitting right next to me, I'm contemplating turning it into a desk/workspace.

    Good luck re-doing your chairs, I got tightness in the chest just from reading that you were considering that project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you guys have a covered patio? Prehaps you could put one dinnette set outside for summer eating? and buy regular patio furniature covers for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those fridges, but could never afford the price! I hadn't even thought of Craigslist for those...who in their right mind would not want it? Well -I have a ton of formica tables and like Mick said, one is on my covered deck, and I have used them for a computer desk, etc. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your refrigerator is perfect! I don't think I would take on re-doing the chairs either.

    www.channelingricky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the fridge! And BONUS more tables & chairs! Wowee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! Got a good deal and extras thrown in too. Looking forward to the dinette chairs redo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a steal of a deal, but that's not the typical $$$ of a used one. Used are super hard to find. For $740 he just wanted to unload it. You probably did him a favor by taking it.

    I live in Upstate NY and after one full year of searching everywhere I finally found one. I paid $1,700. Its 5 years old and like new, no dents. Brand new would have been $4,100 - so even @ $1,700 I think I still got a good deal.

    ReplyDelete