Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I found a box of pink bathroom tile.. IN MY GARAGE

I still can't believe this. I have a storage room in the 'garage' that is full of old paint cans and 'stuff' that the old owners left behind. They left a lot of stuff behind that I have yet to clean out. Behind those old paint cans is a box. It says Dal-tile. In the box is a pot of gold. Many Many pink bathroom tiles and elephant grey border tile. This changes everything. I am assuming these tiles are the leftovers when the original master bathroom (now a guest bath) was built. Over the years this bathroom and it's pink and grey tiles have been painted over. I briefly thought of stripping all the paint off, but I know there are a few cracked tiles, and the paint hides it. But now there are tiles that have been quietly waiting for 57 years to be used. Now I want to have the bathroom professionally stipped of all its tile paint. I can replace the few broken tiles myself. I can't imagine how much it will cost to have it professionally stripped. Should I try this myself? I hate the way the paint stripper smells, and its a major pain in the butt to do. I don't know what to do, part of me wants to put wainscoting over the painted tiles to hide the paint job, and NOW part of me wants to restore the whole thing. what to do...what to do...


6 comments:

  1. I wonder if chemical stripper would cause etching to the glaze on the tiles? I'm wondering about using a good steamer, get a small area loose to start with, and use the steam to get behind the paint to help convince it to separate from the tile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pink & black tiles were painted over & I wasn't able to remove the paint without scratching the tiles. It still hurts to think about; I ended up putting wainscoting over them.
    Maybe you can use the tiles to make a counter or shower surround?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMN WHAT LUCK! that pink would look great with the countertops. somewhere in all my junk i have 6 boxes of 1961 turquoise tile from a kitchen backsplash of this ladys house, she was going to tile over it, and I asked if I could ahve them and she said "take what you can chip off!" Pretty cool Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah - how did you attach the wainscoting? did you drill through the old tiles? that is what I think is my only option at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating for you! WHY do people paint over perfectly good tile, paneling, etc.? Oh wait, I know--because they want a new look but can't afford a major renovation. I vote for the wainscoting and save the tiles--at least you know you have them. And they would look AWESOME mixed with Mick's turquoise tiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Wonderful find. Those gray tiles make the pink even better. I think I would get an estimate from a professional on whether it can be stripped and how much it would cost. As for wainscotting, it can look great, or not so great, depending on the quality of wainscotting you get. Since you've discovered that box of tiles, it seems worth exploring the cost and steps involved in refurbishing the tiles.

    ReplyDelete