Sunday, April 4, 2010

Vintage one night stand leads to love




Ever go to multiple thrift stores, can't find anything you want and you get so desperate that you pickup and take home the closest thing to vintage that you can find? Even though you know you will regret it tomorrow? That's what almost happened to me Tuesday. I found two "ok" things that were super cheap and decided to take them home. My intent was not to keep these, but to give them to other vintage loving friends this weekend, or hell just sell them. First - a 50s tea set with turquoise pine cones. I liked the pine cones and the oh so wonderful 50s gold flecks around the rim. It was super cheap but I was thinking that I'm really not the type of person to have a tea set. Oh well I want something vintage and I want it now, so I bought it. Also spotted 38 pieces of matching Corning/Pyrex plates and mugs. At this thrift store you cant just buy a few plates, you buy the whole set, or leave it. End of story. Once again these were super cheap, but maybe too 1970s for me. I bought them as well.

So here I sit days later completely in love with these purchases that I took home only because I was desperate for vintage. No more mixed-matched 50s dinner plates, I at least now have a full set of "70's ish" dinnerware even down to the 8 coffee mugs. As for the tea set, I'm not ready to give this up to a better home either. Pictured are my little finds (only about half of the dishes). They are keepers.

5 comments:

  1. The pine cone design on the tea set reminds me of the pine cone serving tray that you showed a while back. Maybe you could display the tea set on the serving tray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missouri Michael - they are side by side!!! I think i have a thing for 50s pinecones now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand about the dishes.... I traded all my mixed match pieces for the pink flowered ones because they had bowls in the almost complete set! I was also wondering if you were thinking about attending "As Time Goes By" this summer?! Send me an email if you plan to, its gonna be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I just can't bear to leave something kitschy sitting there on the shelf either, especially when you're in a vintage drought. I need to be sat down and had a talk about ceramics hoarding, but it's hard to pass up a good find! As yours most certainly are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe those dishes are from the late 70's early 80's. My bride had a full set of these when we got married in 88' and they were hand me downs from her mom. I loved them, and was bummed when she "upgraded" us to a new set.

    ReplyDelete