Friday, April 9, 2010

50s Cosco rolling serving cart











This ALWAYS happens. I started painting the kitchen and working on the crown molding today, and I get side tracked. In fact, I took today off from work to work on it but I found something at a garage sale. The first time I walked by this old rusty cart I passed it up because I wasn't sure what it was disguised in all its decay. The only thing that sparked my attention were the little clear wheels with silver flecks in them. I knew when I saw those it needed some TLC and a place in my home. So I paid the little old lady $4.50 (the cart was $4, and the silver fruit tray also pictured was .50 cents). I got it home and me and my roommate got to work on getting the rust off the chrome and polishing it. 2 cans of aqua spray paint later and its a born again serving cart. I can not believe how well this turned out. I owe it to my roommate, he showed me how easy it was to get rust off chrome with this weird cotton stuff (he freaked out when I told him at first I was going to spray paint the chrome). I love this cart. I can't believe it. Take a look at the before and after pics. It will look so good in the kitchen.... if i ever finish it....

8 comments:

  1. wow~ It's sparkling and makes me want to paint mine now, even though it doesn't need it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most beautiful cart! My husband told me Brillo pads work great on getting rust off chrome but the thought of Brillo padding 4 chairs and a dinette table has put me off a little . . . What's the weird cotton stuff you used? Seeing that pinecone tray reminded me to ding out my matching coffee pot--I bought it awhile back and it's been in the pile of "Stuff To UnPack" in the shed. The HUGE pile of "Stuff To UnPack" unfortunately. I always love these makeovers--they ALMOST get me inspired to start my projects. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GASP! I love it (and in my color too!), you've just given me something else to hunt for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrsitine - its called NEVR-DULL Wadding polish. the cotton has some chemical on it that loosens the rust, and it rubs off with steel wool. I had no idea you could do this intil my roommate showed me.
    I looked online at these Cosco trays and they are so cool. Great. now i have something else i feel like i need to collect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks awesome. How great for entertaining a crowd or just yourself :) Very nice piece.


    Visit me at FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used tinfoil in the past to remove dirt from chrome, it works ok but now I wanna find your secret weapon. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you could fix up something like that and end up with something so beautiful!! And
    I think I may even have an old can of that Nevr-Dull stuff someplace!
    You sure did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked up this cart at a antique/junk shop for $20 - mine is beige. What brand/color of spray paint did you use? I can only hope mine cleans up like yours!

    ReplyDelete