Sunday, March 7, 2010

$5 rule goes out the window




Well, so much for my rule about not spending more than $5 for something for the next couple of weeks. I found loopholes in my own rule.... I found two things I wanted, but one of them was over $5, BUT, the sum of both was under $10. So does this make it ok? Well screw it, if I want them I'll just buy them. So this morning I got these two little goodies, another vintage serving tray (I just love these things), and a 50's wire fruit holder. I seriously need some ideas on what I am going to put in the wire fruit holder. I'm not putting real fruit in it, and no glass grapes. I am thinking about multi-colored salt water taffy candies (you know, the kind that are pastel colored and are wrapped in wax paper). Should I try to find vintage wax fruit? Does anyone have one of these? what did you put in it? In my eyes this thing is beautiful on its own, but I would love to find something retro to put in it. Maybe i should flip through some old magazines.....

6 comments:

  1. You still got a great deal. How about some glass grapes in the basket. That's about as retro as you can get. Love the tray!
    __
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could just put platic fruit in the basket?! walmart sess a set for like $10 that hasnt changed since the mid 60's~! That tray is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same tray except it's round! I haven't seen the square version. Cool. Zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey--are those Blue Heaven custard cups almost hidden in the tray photo? That illustration reminds me of my dad back in the day doing the bbq thang--he used to get so mad at me since I HAD to have my burger totally well-done (no pink) but not burnt. He was truly a bbq artiste! Oh, and for the basket, definitely plastic fruit. They also have plastic fruit at Hobby Lobby but they are ridiculously expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vintage Christine - yes those are Blue Heaven custard cups (and soup bowls). All of that is sitting on top of an old china hutch that is filled with an original set of Blue Heaven dishes. thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about vintage croquet or bocce balls? Or some other spherical objects with nice colors?

    ReplyDelete