Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vintage West Bend percolator, how I love thee...




Garage and estate sales were slim pickins this weekend. However I did come across the most beautiful retro percolator. It was scuffed, and the inside was grimey with some rust. It spoke to me though..... it said "please take me home and clean me up, I promise I still have many brews left in me". I told it I didn't care if it worked, I was going to buy it and forever let it live proud in my kitchen (I don't normally talk to appliances). I had a feeling I could clean this thing up. Usually this soft plastic/rubbery material from the 50s can be cleaned up just by rubbing it down with dry cloth. So I threw down my $5, went home and got to work. A little soap, water and some CLR is all it took to make this thing look absolutely perfect. It works pefect as well. When something old still works it's like it still has a little beating heart in it that wants to live on (no, I am not drunk). This little find made my weekend :)

4 comments:

  1. You're not crazy! I always talk to my vintage appliances... they need to know they're loved! I totally understand about the little beating heart...and I'm sure this percolator will appreciate you for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what I love more, the shape or color? wow. Don't you just love bringing things back to life? it's so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cute little perky-later! I can't imagine NOT talking to my appliances--some of them even have names! BTW--I've read several blogs today who said the "pickings were slim" and then they (like you) show an incredible find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I named my vintage refrigerator & O'keef and Merrit stove, Fred & Ethel, respectively. Crazy is just a state of mind!

    ReplyDelete