Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fire King vs. Pyrex


Up until a couple of weeks ago, I only really liked vintage Pyrex, and with that I only liked a few vintage patterns on Pyrex. Alot of those that I like are hard to find (like "eyes" mixing bowl), and when I do find them they are priced pretty high. So I decided to open my mind up a little to other patterns, and to Fire King. I really have fallen in love with the not-so-liked Kimberly Mug (pictured). I think the texture and colors are really cool, I can see myself drinking more hot drinks just to use them. I am now adding these to my list of things to watch out for at garage sales. I also just purchased on ebay a set of Fire King Blue Heaven soup/custard and mixing bowls. I know these are not apart of the original Blue Heaven line by Royal China, but I like them and I won't be as afraid to use them as I am with my real Blue Heaven china. My love for Pyrex hasn't changed, I am just going to be more open this garage sale season to different patterns and types.... if garage sale season ever gets here. Snow for Dallas tomorrow. Ho hum. So what are some of your favorite Pyrex / Fire King items and patterns? Or do you like a different glass company?

8 comments:

  1. You and I have such similar tastes! I collect several different patterns of glassware and china and one of my favorites is Royal China Blue Heaven--and I also have several pieces of the Fire-King Blue Heaven which coordinates so well. Those Kimberly mugs look fantastic in the Pink Lustre color. I also collect Federal Glass ovenware and (here's a tip) whenever I see Glasbake I snatch it up. The newer Glasbake has a J as part of its numbering system (for Jeannette Glass) so if you run across some without the J, BUY IT, it's old. And will probably be cheaper than FK or Pyrex. I'm just one of those insane collectors who sees something I like and then it just goes from there, one or two pieces at a time. Also, unless you really like something, don't buy any Pyrex that says it can be microwaved. It won't be that old--but again, if you like it, who cares if it's old or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just starting out in my pyrex collecting, but I love the amish butterprint, snowflake & gooseberry best.

    I've snubbed my nose at glasbake & fireking in the past, but recently ran across the cutest fireking ramekin & fell in love with the color (orange).

    Good luck with garage sale season, our doesn't really begin until Memorial Day :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Retro Gods" as many bloggers have called them always send me Pyrex... But I too Liek the pattern on thoes cups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find there here in the UK, the easiest pyrex/fireking dishes have roses on them. I have bought alot coz nobody else wants them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting topic! I collect mostly vintage Pyrex, but often look at and then put back McKee Glasbake and non-jadeite Fireking items at the thrift shop. I am wondering if those last two brands are the next "big thing" in the vintage world? I agree, I think I will become more open to those brands in future. I just bought a great atomic-star motif covered Fireking casserole dish yesterday, in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was given a pristine set of pink Pyrex bowls from the 50's. They were like brand new and I stupidly put one of them in the dishwasher! Now it has that "haze" on it and I'm wondering if something can be doneto repair/restore it or if it's ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just realized I have a Blue Heaven cake pan I had always assumed was Pyrex. Learning something new each day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started a pyrex and fire collection at once, I'm obsessed

    ReplyDelete