Sunday, January 3, 2010

I love you, new sunburst clock



....We'll, its of course not new, but old new. I got it off of ebay last week because I have been shopping around for one of these for a loooooong time, and this one is exactly like the one my folks had when I was little. Something that especially drew my attention to it was that the clock motor was broken. NO PROBLEMO! Being broken I knew I could get it for VERY cheap, and I can repair it myself. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a clock kit. I carefully took the old motor off the clock, put the new battery operated motor on, fit the original hands back on the face, and like magic this old beauty has a new life. I decided a while back that I was not going to pass up beautiful old clocks just becasuse they were broken. Most of the time the motor can easily be replaced. This is all due to a tramatic experience where I bought a freakin awesome eames style clock at an estate sale a while back, only to take it home and it wouldn't work. So i returned it. I thought about that clock for a week because it was so cool (and $5.00). If i had been smarter I would just have tried to fix it. UGH. I won't let that happen again.
**Also photographed is a recent lamp purchase off of ebay. I truly love the lamp but am not happy with the seller. I'll complain about this in my next post :)

6 comments:

  1. Cool clock! Being handy is a good thing :) I really love the shade on your lamp, can't wait to hear the ebay story!
    ~MaryDeluxe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not supposed to cry over spilt milk (or returned Eames era clocks) but it hurts nevertheless. If I like the way a clock looks, I buy it irregardless of whether it works or not. And oh yes, that lamp is incredible and please clue us in on that bad dealer--I'm in the market for a similar lamp and want to avoid any bad dealers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5?? Never pass up a broken clock or light. Easily fixed!! And yes, please let us know about the bad dealer - we purchase off ebay too!!
    ___
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we have the SAME clock also! haha did this one us a manual wind up key? I got mine off of ebay for $14.99.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lamp and clock are awesome! And I never knew it could be a simple thing to replace a clock motor... Great to know for the future!

    ReplyDelete