Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ebay buy - from bad to good


In my last post I mentioned that I just bought a 50's lamp on Ebay that I really liked, but was not happy with the seller. Normally when I shop on ebay I look for things that are in need of some slight TLC or repair, and I bid accordingly. If the bids get to high then I just let it be. In this case the lamp looked like it was in great shape, so I bid what I thought was a good price, and I won it! The seller expressed that the lamp itself was in excellent condition with no repairs needed. When it came in the mail there was a little problem, the turn switch that turns the light on was missing. I tried to take one off of another lamp in the house, but didn't fit. I was able to turn the switch with a pair of needle-nose plyers, but started getting a little miffed knowing that I was going to have to pay for a new switch. After a day or two of fretting if should contact the seller, I finally did. I explained that I would not have bid what I did had I known the switch that turns the lamp on and off was missing. I did not leave them a rating because they had a 100% rating and I explained that I was not the type of person to add negative feedback over this, but I most likely would not buy from them again. After a couple of days I got an unexpected email from the seller. She apologized over and over and explained she was out of town and that a helper had posted the lamp and shipped it, and that it is not like her to let something like this slip. She also gave me a $5.00 paypal credit. COOL! I wrote her back thanking her very much for doing that. The cost pretty much covers a new switch.

I have bought quite a few things in Ebay, and have never had a bad experience (knock on wood). This is the first time something was not 100% as described. I am thankful that the seller was willing to rectify the situation!!!! I love this lamp!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You were very smart not to post a reactionary negative on the seller, and she was very smart to finally contact you and make it right. You can always file a grievance with Paypal - you have 90 days to leave a negative if nothing changes.

    Great to see the good outcome though. Now, is your lamp working??
    __
    Barbara
    http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, how about showing off the lamp, dude! I've been lucky (again, knock on wood) with my eBay purchases--I just got a pretty good deal on a Fire-King "Tulip" grease jar WITH A LID and am hoping the p.o. doesn't smash it into a million pieces.

    ReplyDelete